Fountain West Health Center is a second generation family owned long term care and assisted living facility in West Des Moines. We are currently seeking caring and compassionate in RN or LPN’s on our day and evening shifts. A generous shift differential is available for the evening shifts. In addition to our benefits package, we reward our employees for coming to work with our monthly attendance bonus! To apply, please reply to this posting or apply in person. The following is a summary of the job duties:
Job Title: Staff Nurse
Supervisor: House Supervisor
Positions Supervised: CNA
Exemption (Type): Non-Exempt
General Job Summary:
The staff nurse assists in the supervision and administration of quality nursing care for the facility. The staff nurse must possess a comprehensive knowledge of general nursing theory and practice, including basic knowledge related to nursing such as drugs, biological, physical, social and medical sciences, and their application for better understanding of resident-care problems. The staff nurse will assist in maintaining a physical, social and psychological environment which will be conductive to the best interest and welfare of the residents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate resident needs, conditions and care: assist in developing nursing care plans for individual residents, including rehabilitative and restorative activities and instruction in self-help, instruct relatives in home care and rehabilitation.
- Communicate with family members regarding the condition and progress of the resident, including in-person discussion and answering telephone inquiries.
- Assist the physician in rounds, review physician’s orders, order medications, maintain residents chart, notify charge nurse of residents condition and any unusual or abnormal observations.
- Requisition the necessary supplies, equipment, linens, emergency drugs, and other materials to meet the unit needs, make sure the equipment is clean and in good working order.
- Maintain unit records, including charting duties and maintenance of narcotic records, carry out treatment/medication orders.
- Responsible for admission and orientation of new patients and relatives, check identifications, check physicians orders, transfer and pre-admission information, review patent medical and social history.
- Responsible for work assignment of individuals in the nursing area with authority to make changes and revise duties in order to meet resident needs, ensure that staff members complete assigned duties.
- Assist with employment evaluations for all employees in department where necessary, provide counseling to nursing assistants on performance improvement.
- Assist the Director of Nursing with implementation of policies and procedures of the unit.
- Make daily rounds to evaluate emotional and physical needs of residents during tour of duty, attempt to fulfill spiritual and physiological needs of patients, give emergency treatment when required, notify physician and carry out physician’s orders.
- Maintain resident information and Fountain West internal affairs in strict confidence.
- Assist with training and orientation of new department employees.
- Follow Fountain West policies concerning personal grooming, appearance, and appropriate dress code requirements.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing, and must possess and be responsible for all actions necessary to maintain a current license with the Iowa Board of Nursing. Registered Nurse of Licensed Practical Nurse is acceptable. Must be able to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions in English.
- It is the responsibility of the Staff Nurse to meet all continuing education requirements, whether internal or mandated by the Iowa Board of Nursing. Failure to maintain a current license with the Iowa Board of Nursing for any reason will be grounds for termination.
- Six months experience in med-surg preferred.
- Administrative and supervisory experience preferred.
Physical Activity Requirements:
- The Staff Nurse is frequently called upon to lift charts and equipment weighing up to 10 pounds. The Staff Nurse will constantly be called upon to lift equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasionally, Staff Nurses will be required to assist with lifting residents weighing up to and exceeding 160 pounds.
- The Staff Nurse is regularly called upon to carry objects, including charts and equipment of up to ten pounds. The Staff Nurse occasionally will be called upon to carry equipment up to 25 pounds. Carrying in excess of 25 pounds is not required.
- The Staff Nurse is required to have 20/20 correct vision.
- The Staff Nurse is required to have normal range of hearing, as corrected
- Staff Nurses are required to work with all other persons in the department. The ability to get along and socialize with others is essential. In addition, the Staff Nurse is responsible for hands-on patient care requiring the ability to meet and deal with residents and their families. Good communication and socialization skills are essential.
Other Physical Requirements
- Staff Nurses will regularly be expected to stand, sit, and walk. Staff Nurses will occasionally be called upon to squat, kneel, bend, crawl, twist and crouch.
- Nursing: 1 year
Required license or certification:
- RN or LPN